Alterations & Improvements
Residents can request permission to carry out alternations and make improvements to their home.
The association will only refuse permission if the work will affect the safety of your home, cause additional expense to the association or reduce the value of the property. You may, however, be responsible for the ongoing repair and maintenance of any improvements.
The following conditions will apply:
- The work must be carried out by a competent person at your own expense and to the satisfaction of the association
- Approved installers must be used if the work includes alterations to the gas and/or electrics
- If your application is approved, the approval will last for six months. If you do not complete the work within six months then you will need to reapply
- You must let the association know when the work is completed, for the purpose of an inspection
- You are responsible for checking if planning permission or building regulations approval is needed by checking with your local council
- If the association accepts responsibility for the future maintenance of your alteration or improvement then it will be maintained to the association’s usual maintenance standards and costs. Any work required over and above this level will be recharged to you
- Alterations or improvements of a decorative nature will not be maintained by the association
- You may be entitled to compensation for improvements when you move out of your home.
PLEASE NOTE THAT NO WORK SHOULD BE CARRIED OUT UNTIL WRITTEN PERMISSION HAS BEEN GIVEN
To request permission to make an alternation or improvement to your home please contact us by using the online form, by telephone, letter, email or by contacting a member of staff. To make a request online, please click here.